Government Investigations/White-Collar Defense
- Representation of business executive originally charged with money laundering in the Southern District of New York. Client pled to a lesser offense and, despite a 30-37 months’ Guidelines range, received a sentence of only two months.
- Counseling multiple clients on AML and sanctions related issues, in particular in connection with Russian sanctions following Ukraine invasion.
- Representation of multiple executives at investment banks in connection with investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Representation of Fortune 50 company in False Claims Act investigation by the Department of Justice.
- Representation of military and law enforcement contractor in False Claims Act investigation by the Department of Justice.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in False Claims Act investigation by the Department of Justice.
- Representations of multiple individuals and entities in securities fraud, FCPA, and public corruption investigations and prosecutions by the U.S. Attorney's Offices for the Southern District of New York and Eastern District of New York, DOJ's Fraud Section, and/or foreign authorities.
- Co-author of amicus brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, raising constitutional issues concerning the government’s breaches of the attorney-client privilege while conducting a search of defendant’s office. Amicus brief later cited in presidential commutation of defendant’s sentence.
- Representation of a fintech company in Securities Act claim filed in New York County Supreme Court. Delivered oral argument and was granted dismissal with prejudice.
- Representation of fintech company in pending class action in the Southern District of New York.
- Representation of large insurance company in multiple commercial litigations in the Southern District of New York.
- Representation of energy company in fraud and breach of contract action in the Eastern District of New York.
- Representation of a global engineering firm in a pending lawsuit under the Anti-Terrorism Act in the District of Columbia
- Representation of multiple clients in connection with adversary proceedings in federal bankruptcy court.
- Representation of clients in arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association and the London Court of International Arbitration.
Significant Securities Fraud Prosecutions (prior to joining Baker Botts)
- Multi-defendant RICO and securities fraud prosecution arising out of the world's largest private equity insolvency (United States v. Naqvi, et al.)
- Prosecution and trial of radio talk-show host for securities fraud and wire fraud (United States v. Carton)
- Prosecution and trial of multiple defendants for securities fraud and investment adviser fraud (United States v. Galanis, et al.)
- Prosecution of defendant for running nine-figure Ponzi scheme involving investments related to the purchase and resale of event tickets (United States v. Meli)
- Prosecution of former Chief Financial Officer of publicly traded company for lying to auditors (United States v. Jacoby)
- Prosecution of multiple defendants for insider trading
Other Significant Prosecutions (prior to joining Baker Botts)
- Prosecution and high-profile trial of members of the Venezuelan first family for narcotics trafficking (United States v. Flores)
- Prosecution of employee of Russian state-owned bank, for acting as a Russian intelligence officer in the United States (United States v. Buryakov)
- Counsel in the district court and the Second Circuit for case involving constitutional challenges to the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act; conviction affirmed by the Supreme Court of the United States in a 5-3 decision in June 2019 (United States v. Gundy)
- First ISIS-related prosecution and trial in the SDNY which involved extensive litigation under the Classified Information Procedures Act (CIPA) and Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) (United States v. Gammal)