Shakir is an associate based in the firm's Dubai office. His practice focuses on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, complex joint ventures and general corporate matters. He has over three years of experience working in the Middle East and regularly advises clients in diverse sectors including technology, education, healthcare, retail, construction and energy.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Shakir trained, qualified and practiced as a solicitor at a top tier, "Magic Circle" law firm in London. He has also spent time on secondment at the sovereign wealth fund of one of the UAE's Emirates, giving him a strong understanding of the needs and demands of in-house counsel in the region.
- Advising a high profile confidential client on its acquisition of a majority stake in United Eastern Medical Services.
- Advising a leading online payments platform on the acquisition of a regional start-up company.*
- Advising a boutique private equity investment house on its acquisition of an online inventory management system business.*
- Advising a leading global online classified business on the sale of its operations in North Africa and South America.*
- Advising a high profile education client on the sale of a 30% stake to a consortium of investors.*
- Advising a regional family investment fund on the acquisition of two high profile restaurant chains in the UAE and Saudi Arabia.*
- Advising one of the region’s leading conglomerates on the acquisition of a telecoms company in Afghanistan.*
- Advising a leading private equity fund on its investment in a dairy business in Western Africa.*
- Advising a global projects and construction company (headquartered in the DIFC) on a corporate restructuring and entry into bespoke articles and shareholder arrangements.*
- Advising a tech start-up company incorporated in the ADGM on its series A fundraising round.*
- Advising various companies on general corporate law and regulatory matters, both onshore and offshore in the UAE (in various free zones).*
*Prior to joining Baker Botts.