As Chair of Baker Botts' Life Sciences IP Practice group, Steve advises clients on a wide range of biotechnology-related intellectual property issues. Whether evaluating third party patents ahead of product launches for a multinational biopharma enterprise, developing patent filing strategies around new therapeutic approaches for a leading cancer research institution, or advocating for an industry-transforming sequencing company before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, Steve's value-add is providing technically-informed and commercially-relevant legal advice that the scientists, the in-house legal team, and the C-suite can all understand.
Before attending law school, Steve performed his graduate school research on the protein-nucleic acid interactions underlying pre-messenger RNA splicing. Prior to graduate school, he was an assistant process development scientist at a large pharmaceutical company working on the production of recombinant blood clotting factors.
Strategic Patent Counseling and IP Diligence
- Multinational biopharmaceutical company – IP diligence in connection with multiple technology in-license opportunities; IP diligence in connection with therapeutic antibody manufacturing; strategic patent counseling relating to therapeutic antibody products and development targets
- Mid-size biopharmaceutical company – patent prosecution of novel antibody technologies and therapeutics; pre-litigation due diligence investigations; and strategic patent portfolio development
- Start-up biotechnology company – development of a patent prosecution strategy and preparation of freedom to operate opinions relating to lead compounds and indications
- Global healthcare company – corporate due diligence review facilitating an acquisition
- Leading manufacturer of nucleic acid sequencing devices – filing of multiple petitions for inter partes review with the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB)
- International pharmaceutical company – filing of multiple petitions for inter partes review with the PTAB
- Leading manufacturer of life science research and diagnostic reagents – representation before the U.S. Patent Office in multiple ex parte reexamination proceedings
Patent Litigation & Amicus Filings
- Leading manufacturer of nucleic acid sequencing devices – defended client in connection with allegations of patent infringement before the International Trade Commission
- Leading manufacturer of life science research and diagnostic reagents – defense of patent infringement claim in district court concerning fluorescent labels for biomolecules
- Global biopharmaceutical company – representation as amicus curiae in connection with the U.S. Supreme Court’s review of Bilski v. Kappos
- Global biopharmaceutical company – representation as amicus curiae in connection with the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit’s review of Prometheus v. Mayo
- International biotechnology industry organization – representation as amicus curiae in connection with the landmark AMP v. USPTO “gene patenting” case in the Southern District of New York
- International agricultural industry organization – representation as amicus curiae in connection with the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit’s review of AMP v. USPTO
Awards & Community
Listed in Patent Litigation, Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences, 2016
Speaker, Practicing Law Institute's Advanced Prosecution Workshop
Intellectual Property Report: February 2019
Speaker, Practicing Law Institute's Advanced Patent Prosecution Workshop
Supreme Court Upholds Constitutionality of IPRs and Ends PTAB Practice of Instituting IPR Decisions on Fewer than All Challenged ClaimsBlog Post
PTAB Trials Blog
Baker Botts and Salem Partners will be hosting a private reception during the J.P.Morgan Healthcare Conference to be held at Jasper's Corner Tap and Kitchen on Monday January 13, 2020.
Baker Botts will be hosting a private reception at the JW Marriott located in San Francisco Union Square on Tuesday January 8, 2019.