Valeriya Kirsey is a senior associate in our London office. Her practice focuses on international arbitration. She has advised and represented clients in industries as varied as oil & gas, telecommunications, petrochemicals, renewable energy, construction and financial institutions. Valeriya has extensive experience in advising and representing clients in energy disputes, including institutional and ad hoc arbitrations involving parties from a variety of jurisdictions in Europe, the Middle East and Asia. She has also acted as tribunal secretary/assistant in LCIA arbitrations and an ICSID arbitration.
Valeriya is trained in both common law (L.L.M. from Harvard Law School) and civil law (French Law degrees). She is a dual-qualified attorney (New York and England & Wales).
Valeriya was recognised as a “UK Rising Star” in Commercial Arbitration by Euromoney’s Expert Guides in 2020 and 2021.
Valeriya has served as an Assistant Editor of the Journal of International Arbitration, a leading international arbitration publication. She has also served as a teaching assistant in energy and arbitration at Queen Mary University in London.
Valeriya currently serves as a board member of the Harvard Law School Association in the UK.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Valeriya was an associate in a Magic Circle UK firm and in the London office of a large U.S. firm.
Valeriya is a native Russian and Ukrainian speaker and is fluent in English and French.
- Public Joint Stock Company Mobile TeleSystems v. Turkmenistan (ICSID Additional Facility arbitration, seated in Stockholm). Representing the claimant, Russia's leading telecommunications provider, in an arbitration arising from the unlawful expropriation of the claimant's investment (and related investment treaty violations)
- A major State-owned energy company in relation to arbitration claims against a former oil field operator arising out of a production sharing agreement (UNCITRAL Rules; seated in The Hague)
- A Middle-Eastern energy company in an ICC arbitration in a dispute under an EPC contract
- A petrochemicals producer in an UNCITRAL arbitration arising out of termination of an exclusive offtake agreement
- An operator of an oil field on force majeure related issues
- A major LNG producer on price review discussions with an Asian LNG buyer
- A major gas producer on price review discussions with a gas buyer
- An importer of organic products in an LCIA arbitration against a supplier
- An energy company in connection with potential claims under the Energy Charter Treaty in the renewables sector*
- A major LNG producer in a series of LNG price review and price determination claims in relation to six European gas markets (ICC arbitration seated in London)*
- A major gas producer in a series of multibillion Euro price review arbitrations under a series of long-term pipeline gas supply contracts with European buyer (ad hoc arbitrations seated in Stockholm)*
- A State entity in a London-seated LCIA arbitration against an energy consortium, arising out of a heads of agreement for exploration and development of oil*
- An energy trading company in a London-seated LCIA arbitration, arising out of sale and purchase agreement for Kyoto Protocol carbon credits*
- A major automobile producer in a dispute arising under a shareholders agreement*
- An investor on potential treaty claims against a State involving alleged expropriation of an insurance company*
- Investors on potential treaty claims against States involving alleged expropriation of land*
*Prior to joining Baker Botts
Awards & Community
Recognised by Euromoney Legal Group as a "UK Rising Star" in Commercial Arbitration, 2020, 2021 & 2022.
Energy Litigation Update
Moderator, 10th ITA-IEL-ICC Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration
Co-Chair, 10th ITA-IEL-ICC Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration
Panelist, Lisbon Arbitration Congress, Under 40 Session
Panelist, Baker Botts Oil and Gas Lawyer School
Enforcement of ICSID Awards in the UK and EU State Aid: The Judgment of the English Court of Appeal in Micula v. Romania (Micula v. Romania  EWCA Civ 1801), November 2018Client Updates
A Rare Insight Into Practice of Arbitral Institutions: LCIA's Published Decisions on Arbitrator ChallengesBlog Post
Baker Botts’ Energy Practice will be hosting its third Oil and Gas Lawyer School in London on Thursday, 21 March, 2019.