Lisa Kattan is the International Trade Commission Practice Group Chair at Baker Botts and the Chair of the firm's Washington D.C. IP group. Prior to joining Baker Botts, she was a Senior Investigative Attorney at the U.S. International Trade Commission's Office of Unfair Import Investigations for over five years. At the ITC, Ms. Kattan's responsibilities included serving as lead trial counsel on behalf of the U.S. Government in numerous high-profile investigations involving billions of dollars of accused products. She has been counsel in dozens of ITC proceedings, both at the ITC and in private practice.
One of the preeminent ITC trial attorneys in the country, Ms. Kattan is noted as "an ace up the firm's sleeve for Section 337 investigations" (IAM 1000, 2020). She is a recognized ITC practitioner in Chambers Global 2022, Chambers USA (2018-2021), IAM 1000 (2018-2021) and as a "Leading Lawyer" in The Legal 500 U.S. (2019-2020). Ms. Kattan is a frequent speaker on ITC developments and patent litigation best practices.
Ms. Kattan has over 20 years of experience as a trial attorney and registered patent attorney. She has litigated cases involving a variety of telecommunications technologies, as well as chemical, pharmaceutical, medical device, and consumer products, at the ITC, district courts around the country, and appeals before the Federal Circuit.
- Certain Video Security Equipment and Systems, Related Software, Components Thereof, and Products Containing Sam (ITC Investigation 337-TA-1281) - representation of complainant Avigilon, a subsidiary of Motorola Solutions, in an investigation related to security cameras
- Certain Fitness Devices, Streaming Components Thereof, and Systems Containing Same (ITC Investigation 337-TA-1265_ - representation of complainant DISH in an investigation related to video streaming
- Certain Artificial Eyelash Extension Systems, Products, and Components Thereof (ITC Investigation No. 337 - TA -1226) - representation of respondent KISS in a GEO investigation related to artificial eyelash extensions
- Certain Chemical Mechanical Planarization Slurries and Components Thereof (ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-1204) - representation of complainant CMC in an ITC investigation related to slurries used for semiconductor manufacturer
- Certain High-Density Fiber Optic Equipment and Components Thereof (Inv.No.337-TA-1194) - representation of respondent Huber + Suhner in a GEO ITC investigation related to high density fiber optic equipment for data centers
- Blitzsafe v. PACCAR (E.D. Texas) - representation of Expedia in a patent infringement litigation related to online travel reservation systems
- Certain Toner Cartridges and Components Thereof (ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-1174) - representation of Brother Industries, Ltd. in an ITC GEO investigation related to toner cartridge patent infringement against 32 respondents
- IBM v. Expedia (D. Arizona) - representation of Expedia in a patent infringement litigation related to online travel reservation systems
- Certain Magnetic Data Storage Tapes and Cartridges Containing Same (II) (ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-1076) - representation of Fujifilm in an ITC Investigation of Sony's infringement of a number of Fujifilm patents related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
- Certain Magnetic Tape Cartridges and Components Thereof (ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-1058) - representation of Fujifilm in an ITC Investigation brought by Sony related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
- Certain Magnetic Tape Cartridges and Components Thereof (ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-1036) - representation of Fujifilm in an ITC Investigation brought by Sony related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
- Certain Flash Memory Devices and Components Thereof (ITC Investigation No 337-TA-1034) - representation of Western Digital and Sandisk in a patent infringement ITC investigation involving flash memory brought by Memory Technologies, LLC
- Certain Single-Molecule Nucleic Acid Sequencing Systems and Reagents (ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-1032) - representation of Oxford Nanopore Techs in a patent ITC infringement investigation involving nucleic acid sequencing systems brought by Pacific BioSciences
- Certain Magnetic Data Storage Tapes and Cartridges Containing Same (ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-1012) - representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation of Sony's infringement of a number of Fujifilm patents related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
- Certain Radiotherapy Systems and Treatment Planning Software, 337-TA-968*
- Certain Electronic Products, Including Products with Near Field Communication, 337-TA-950*
- Certain Communications or Computing Devices, 337-TA-925*
- Certain Sleep-Disordered Breathing Treatment Systems, 337-TA-890*
- Certain Electronic Devices, Including Wireless Communication Devices, Tablet Computers, Media Players, and Televisions, 337-TA-862*
- Certain Portable Electronic Devices and Related Software, 337-TA-797*
- Other investigations include: 337-TA-1002 (Certain Carbon and Alloy Steel Products), -977 (Certain Arrowheads with Deploying Blades), -951 (Certain Lithium Metal Oxide Cathode Materials), -936 (Certain Footwear Products), -905 (Certain Wireless Devices, Including Mobile Phones and Tablets), -879 (Certain Sleep-Disordered Breathing Treatment Systems), -839 (Certain Consumer Electronics, Including Mobile Phones and Tablets), -831 (Certain Electronic Devices for Capturing and Transmitting Images), and -823 (Certain Kinesiotherapy Devices), among others*
- Kimberly-Clark v. Covidien: patent infringement case in E.D. Wisc. regarding endotracheal tubes
- Certain Modified Vaccinia Ankara and Vaccines and Pharmaceutical Compositions Based Thereon, 337-TA-550: ITC patent infringement investigation concerning smallpox vaccine and government contracts*
- Kao v. Unilever: D. Del. infringement trial and appeal to Federal Circuit about polymer skin-cleanser*
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals v. Eon: EDNY Hatch-Waxman trial and appeal to Federal Circuit regarding anti-fungal drug dosage form*
- Honeywell v. Lockheed Martin: Court of Federal Claims patent infringement trial concerning night-vision goggles*
- Phillips Petroleum v. Exxon: Member of team for patent infringement jury trial in D. Del. concerning super-random blocking co-polymers*
- McNeil Consumer Products v. Perrigo: Member of team for Markman hearing and trial in Hatch-Waxman patent infringement suit in EDPA regarding pharmaceutical*
- Ortho-McNeil v. Barr Laboratories: Prepared ex parte reexamination requests before the PTO regarding oral contraceptive patents*
*Prior to joining Baker Botts
Awards & Community
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" by The Legal 500 U.S., 2020, 2021 & 2022
Recognized as a "Next Generation Lawyer" by The Legal 500 U.S., 2019
Recognized by Chambers USA, 2018-2021
Recognized by IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Professionals, 2018-2021
Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.) for Litigation-Patent, 2021
USPTO protest letter passes 80 signatories; KIPO face mask warning; Inter Milan scores win – news digestWorld Trademark Review
World Trademark Review
Japan FRONTEO Webinar
Baker Botts Webinar
Panelist, International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association Annual Meeting
University of Texas Advanced Patent Law Institute
The Supreme Court's Recent Impact on Intellectual Property RightsSpeeches & Presentations
Understanding the Internal Procedures and Decision-Making Process at the Office of Unfair Import InvestigationsSpeeches & Presentations
ITC Litigation & Enforcement, American Conference Institute
Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
Trends, Tools, and Tips: How to Successfully Navigate U.S. International Trade Commission 337 InvestigationsSpeeches & Presentations
Panelist, JETRO IP CLE Program
Moderator, Federal Circuit Bar Association Bench & Bar Conference
Pursuing Foreign Companies Engaged in Misappropriation of Trade Secrets Via an Action in the International Trade CommissionSpeeches & Presentations
ACC Annual In-House Symposium
35th Annual National CLE Conference
Impact of the U.S.-China Trade War on Global Intellectual Property Strategy and Current U.S. IP Topics
In conjunction with Baker Botts L.L.P. and the National Center for Industrial Property Information and Training (INPIT), please join us on Thursday, November 14 for a discussion on several topics, including the U.S.-China Trade War and it's impact on global intellectual property strategy.
UT Law's 24th Annual Advanced Patent Law Institute in Austin covers the latest developments in patent law and features a sophisticated array of prosecution and litigation topics.
In conjunction with FRONTEO eDiscovery & Forensics; Baker Botts is pleased to co-sponsor the "2019 Patent Litigation and Big Data Update" seminar on Wednesday March 13 in Tokyo, Japan. We hope you can join us.
On Friday, March 1, 2019, Baker Botts and the Japan External Trade Organization's (JETRO) DC IP Group will be hosting a four-part seminar led by Ryoji Soga, Chief Deputy Director, International Policy Division, Japan Patent Office, and Baker Botts Partners Lisa Kattan, Rob Maier, and Jen Tempesta.
On Friday, January 25, 2019, Baker Botts and the Japan External Trade Organization's (JETRO) NY IP Group hosted a three-part seminar led by Baker Botts Partners Lisa Kattan, Rob Maier, and Jennifer Tempesta.
In conjunction with FRONTEO eDiscovery & Forensics, and Abe, Ikubo & Katayama; Baker Botts is pleased to co-sponsor "The Latest Trends in Japanese-U.S. Patent Litigation" seminar.
In conjunction with FRONTEO eDiscovery & Forensics; Baker Botts is pleased to co-sponsor the "Trends at the U.S. International Trade Commission and in Extraterritorial Patent Law" seminar.