Baker Botts is proud to be part of the Global Privacy Summit 2019 in Washington, DC.
The IAPP is the largest and most comprehensive global information privacy community and resource. Founded in 2000, the IAPP is a not-for-profit organization that helps define, support and improve the privacy profession globally. The Global Privacy Summit 2019 will gather more than 3,600 professionals from around the world for an outstanding program with a truly global focus. Come to Washington, D.C. for up to four days of education, guidance, inspiration and connections that will spotlight the big picture of data protection.
Baker Botts Partner, Maureen Ohlhausen, and Special Counsel, Cynthia Cole, will be participating on panels on Friday, May 3, 2019.
More information on the panels can be found below:
Over the past few years, with technology companies growing to unprecedented size, policymakers have begun to consider the effect of new platforms and business models on competition, the economy, politics and speech. European competition regulators cite privacy and data protection concerns in market analyses and enforcement actions. Critics point out that beyond economic impacts, power over media and information platforms has profound implications for political discourse and the foundations of our democracy. Uniquely situated as a regulator of both consumer protection and antitrust, the Federal Trade Commission sits at a critical intersection of laws and policies governing the digital economy platforms. In this session, FTC Commissioner Rebecca Slaughter discusses the privacy implications for antitrust policy and competition considerations in consumer protection with Maureen Ohlhausen, partner at Baker Botts and former acting chairman of the FTC.
What you’ll take away:
- Learn about the policy considerations at the juncture of antitrust and privacy
- Hear about the FTC’s policymaking and enforcement agenda
- Engage with leading experts on the law, economics and policies of digital platforms
- Arielle Brown, CIPP/US, Former IAPP Westin Fellow; Associate, Baker & Hostetler
- Maureen Ohlhausen, Former Acting Chairman, Federal Trade Commission; Partner, Baker Botts
- Rebecca Slaughter, Commissioner, Federal Trade Commission
How is privacy, and a growing awareness of the inadequacy of existing protections for it, connected to the rise of the #MeToo movement? How do environments that appear to offer equal opportunities for participation, like online platforms or the modern workplace, end up facilitating harassment, erecting hidden barriers and driving people away? How do opaque privacy policies, poorly enforced content moderation rules, or non-disclosure agreements further facilitate those dynamics? We will discuss the connection between privacy and the #MeToo movement, exploring the bias and harassment that threatens human dignity, autonomy and professional viability, and the ways that the struggle for an equal playing field is mirrored by growing dissatisfaction with the privacy status quo.
What you'll take away:
- The intersection of data privacy and the #MeToo movement
- How they are both related to issues of self and identity
- How social media platforms allow personal expression—but at what price?
- Overall, how #MeToo and other movements that attempt to deconstruct bias and harassment are mirrored in the growing dissatisfaction with the privacy status quo
- Lindsey Barrett, Staff Attorney, Teaching Fellow, IPR Communications and Technology Clinic, Georgetown Law
- Cynthia Cole, CIPP/E, Special Counsel, Baker Botts
- Carrie Goldberg, Founder, Attorney, C.A. Goldberg
- Karyn Smith, General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer, Corporate Secretary, Twilio
Please visit Global Privacy Summit 2019 for more information.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm whose lawyers practice throughout a network of offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.