The following provides a compilation of the firm's ongoing DE&I News, Events, and Initiatives across our network of offices.
- Baker Botts Honors Military Veterans Through Service to Our Communities
- Latino Leaders Magazine Lists Dino Barajas and Natalie Alfaro Gonzales Among “Top Latino Lawyers 2022”
- Baker Botts Earns Leadership Council’s 2022 Top Performer and Compass Awards
- Baker Botts Once Again Named Mansfield “Certified Plus” for Diversity & Inclusion Efforts
- The American Lawyer Recognizes Baker Botts’ Derek McDonald and Maddy Dwertman as 2022 “Trailblazers South”
- Baker Botts Wins Asylum for Guatemalan Victim of Gang and Family Violence
- Baker Botts Washington Attorneys Successfully Obtain Asylum for Salvadoran Man in Pro Bono Representation
- Baker Botts Recognized as a "Recommended Firm" by Latin Lawyer
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month: Dino Barajas
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month: Julie Balogh
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month: Ana Mena
- Another Victory for Texas Families of Transgender Youth: Baker Botts, Lambda Legal and the ACLU Secure Injunctive Relief for PFLAG Members
- Connie Simmons Taylor Recognized as One of Houston Business Journal's "Women Who Mean Business"
- Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration
On Tuesday, October 11, the firm hosted NASA astronaut and engineer, Jose Hernandez, in our Houston office. Mr. Hernandez shared his inspirational journey in becoming one of only a handful of Hispanic-American astronauts in the history of the space program.
- Jennifer Trulock Speaks at Women Influence & Power in Law
Partner Jennifer Trulock participated on the panel titled, “Highlighting the Key Trends in Employment Law” at the Women Influence & Power in Law (WIPL) event in Washington, D.C. on October 19. This event includes more than 600 senior female in-house and outside counsel on hand to share hard-won leadership guidance and insights on the future landscape of cybersecurity, mastering transactions, risk management, the future of litigation, crafting an ESG strategy, the ever-changing role of legal leaders, and more.
- The Power and Strength of Women in the Workplace
Heather Choi was moderator at The Women in the House (WITH) Network and ACC Foundation’s panel on Wednesday, October 26 at 9:15am – 10:30am UTC. The panel focused on stories of success and leadership and experiences that have shaped women on their professional path. The panel featured senior-level women in the legal profession and focused on the strengths that women bring to life and work, discussing how to effectively use and integrate these strengths in the workplace.
- Gavin Villareal Speaks at National Latino Leadership Conference
Partner Gavin Villareal spoke on the “Latino Influence: Increasing your Power in the Workplace” panel at the National Latino Leadership Conference in Miami on September 20. The panel facilitated a discussion about how to assert the power, presence, and importance of the Latinx labor and executive force within the workplace while asserting the Latino identity.
- Nadira Clarke Organizes White Collar Panel for the Center for Women in Law
In connection with her role as a member of the Executive Committee for the Center for Women in Law, partner Nadira Clarke organized a white collar panel titled, “Lessons from a High-Profile Acquittal,” which took place on September 20 at the University of Texas School of Law.
- Pride In Action
The firm recently launched a new initiative aimed at formalizing and expanding its current LGBTQ+ pro bono practice: Pride In Action. Pride In Action comprises a diverse group of the firm's highly engaged lawyers, paralegals and administrative staff who have committed thousands of hours to pro bono matters in pursuit of justice and equality for LGBTQ+ people. This initiative aims to provide additional structure for the firm’s LGBTQ+ pro bono advocacy, including creating a space for lawyers to share resources and knowledge across different matters, and by establishing a network of volunteers eager to assist on new LGBTQ+ pro bono matters. Pride In Action also leverages the firm’s resources to deepen relationships with non-profit advocacy organizations and to explore opportunities for collaboration with firm clients on LGBTQ+ pro bono matters.